Tuesday, February 12, 2008

vampire blogs are back again



Have you ever encountered a vampire blog ?

I mean the kind that sucks content out of your blog and spits into theirs, usually with no credit or link to you? This is plagiarism and content theft. You can't stop it, but you can foil it and mess with their heads really bad.

Here's how it happens.

Your blog is registered with Technorati. To find out what other blogs are linking to you, you and your readers can click on the Technorati link. Suddenly, at the Technorati site, you see weird blogs linking to you.

The blogs have low authority, and are obviously just RSS feeders. They are set up to automatically pull content from random blogs on a specific topic. The purpose of these vampire blogs is to draw visitors to their site, using your keyword-rich content, in hopes that the deceived visitors will click on some freaking ads!

I will give you a link to a vampire blog, but don't click on anything. It might attach spyware or viruses to your computer. Just look, don't touch anything!

Here you go: Online Music.

Why is this creepy, crappy website a Vampire Blog?

Because it has stolen my content, "7 tips on MySpaceMusic marketing", and plopped it into their blog. They are calling the author of my post "Zack Miller", rather than me. That's okay though. I have a way to deal with this.

I am going to do something that will cause them some problems.

3 comments:

Diane Vespa said...

You go get'em tiger. Please write an update on how it came out for you!

Jonathan Bailey said...

I'm sorry to hear that you're dealing with this, if there is anything I can do to help, just drop me a line!

steven edward streight said...

My esteemed colleague, Blog Herald writer and leading expert on online plagiarism, Jonathan Bailey...

welcome!

Thanks for offering to help. I have posted a comment, in reply, on a recent Blog Herald post.