Wednesday, February 06, 2008

contacting and befriending famous people




I enjoy contributing usability analysis, socnet marketing, and web content tips to various CEOs, business publications, and universities. When a magazine publishes your article, or a blog publishes an article about you with a link to your blog, you are providing intellectual property to them.

You want to spread your ideas and your reputation to the people who care and are major influencers.

Tom Peters is the #1 management guru.

In respect of that fact, I buy and devour his books. He is a radical Business As Bizarre pundit that most of the giant corporations love to hire and listen to. I posted some nice comments on his blog, had an email conversation with his office, and suddenly Tom mails me a free copy of his book Talent.

This is how it works in the blogosphere today.

I give just one example, for I promised The Tinbasher "no more name dropping". But see, I have so many names to drop, and they all like me! Aren't you happy to know that? Happy for me, I mean?

My point is that we are in an ideological swamp that's upside down and inside out...when we're online. The rules and norms are all topsy turvy. You get rich by sharing freely and giving things away. You make money by avoiding ads and commercials, replacing them with infotainment, inspiration, and controversy.

Information of all kinds are mostly free. Much music is free and legally downloadable. Same with open source software, CMS, and many web technology tools like Twitter, Ning, and YouTube.

Behold: in a distinctly non-capitalistic manner, much of my information and practice are derived from freely distributed professional essays and manifestos. I will now mention just a few of these sources.

My web usability friends at Microsoft have given me insights on how to conduct usability tests on APIs (application program interface) for software products. My pals at SourceForge discussion lists freely help me understand how to use my free Audacity online music recording and production studio.

Through MySpaceMusic, I'm making personal contact with actual musicians and bands that I've admired from afar for many years. I don't mean just a Friend Acceptance and an avatar to display in your Top 40 display.

I mean real, intimate conversations with avant garde composers, art rock bands, and experimental music geniuses. We compare ideas, compliment each other, discuss collaborations, invite each other to appear on streaming event webcasts and live performances, and purchase CDs from each other.

In just 30 days, I acquired over 2,700 profile views (people checking out my music page) and 1,000 fans of my music, mostly other musicians, indie record labels, and bands. Where else can a relatively obscure, underground band like The Str8 Sounds attract so many thousands in a single month?

Each of these bands had to Accept my Friend Request, and in doing so, they can visit my page and my music automatically plays when they arrive, so my music and lyrics must have appealed in some small and pathetic way to these poor misguided seekers of something to listen to besides the antiquated radio. Musicians hunger for new music by others just as much as fans do!

I have also received over 150 comments directly posted by these musicians I admire. So the interaction and community building of MySpaceMusic is truly remarkable and fast-spreading.

Prior to the blogosphere, you had almost no luck contacting and conversing with famous musicians, artists, and entrepreneurs. Now I am on personal terms with about 50% of my gurus, mentors, and role models of the past, in a variety of fields.

This is truly exciting, and it's not me alone with the power to perform this cyber-philic auto-magical feat. Anyone can do it. It's the first phase of universal compu-telepathy.

1 comment:

Paul Woodhouse said...

It just wouldn't be the same if you stopped dropping names like little crumbs to help you get back to your gingerbread shed.