Wednesday, January 17, 2007

usability of TechSay surveys

Allow me to praise the TechSay IT Surveys that arrive in my inbox about once or twice a month. TechSay is associated with SourceForge, my favorite provider of free open source software.

The world's largest development and download repository of Open Source code and applications.

SourceForge is who makes the incredible Audacity audio editor, which I use in all my computer and musique concrete compositions.

A fast multi-track audio editor and recorder for Linux, BSD, Mac OS, and Windows. Supports WAV, AIFF, Ogg, and MP3 formats. Features include envelope editing, mixing, built-in effects and plug-ins, all with unlimited undo.


Audacity and iTunes, my complete online music creation, recording, mixing, WAV formating, mp3 conversion, playlist archiver, and CD burning tool suite. It's all I need for what I currently do.

Now the TechSay surveys tell the user how much time the survey typically will take an average IT professional to fill out. Manufacturers of computer hardware and software channel consumer research questionnaires through TechSay, and survey takers accumulate points that convert into cash.

They tell you how much time it should take.

Then they have a fat task bar under each question or question group, that lets you know how much, by percentage, of the survey you've completed, incrementally accumulating as you proceed.

Very nice to give the user feedback as they follow instructions.

If you are not the ideal prospect for a product, they'll ascertain that within 3 to maybe 10 questions. When you are disqualified for a survey, you get about 20 points just for spending a little time getting to the disqualifying point.

Thank you for participating in this study.
Unfortunately you are not eligible for this particular study.
However we appreciate that you took the time to participate.
We look forward to inviting you to a future study.

As a thank you for your time, we have credited your account with 20 TekPoints.

2 comments:

Randy Abrams said...

Techsay is a spammer. I have not signed up with them and have no business relationship with them and yet I received their spam. The "click here" to opt out has not link to click on. I live in Seattle and they are in Seattle. Washington state has laws against their type of sapm. I plan on collecting a settlement.

Randy Abrams

Anonymous said...

Hmm, Randy I think you signed up for some IT newsletter or something that allows marketing. I know TechSay sent me an invite but it was because I signed up for a tech newsletter previously and that's just marketing...