Saturday, December 02, 2006

music is tired of being organic

Mark from MySpace served up an interesting piece of relevant content to my micro-conversation on Music of of the Future is Here Now or something boring like that. [EDITOR: "rough notes on the end of music".]

He brought up the idea of music made BY computers, FOR computers only. Music that only other computers would enjoy, subscribe to, and re-distribute to other music-hungry computers. See, machines are people too, and we mustn't discriminate against our fellow creatures. Machines crave music more than any other form of human entertainment, with movies a close second, and poetry almost not even listed. Thus, I write usability poetry.

Music BY computers, FOR computers only? Yes. That's what I make and listen to, thus transforming myself into a more perfect union of humachine sensitivity and mecho-man aggression. We all, human and robot, man and machinery, are beings created equal. Why not cheer our mechanical brethren on as they discover and make music they like?

First, to be deconstructively correct, my response, via MySpace messaging, to his comment on my Blogspot blog. See, we're one big happy family in the blogosphere, right?


We forgive each other for having MySpace pages, and I am the worst of all, since I'm a web usability analyst. Such is the paradox of life, I assume.

Your comment on my Vaspers the Grate blog was so astute and in such radical disagreement vibes with my thots, that I rush to jot and besmirch your alley of the universe with sign posts to the New Reality of Tomorrow.

Music is tired of being bird chirps and concert violin ensembles, of sounding like clunky primitive poundings, slobberings, blowings, and slidings on organic materials. The needless shame and pain inflicted on living tissues of wood and other natural materials is done away with by lifeless wires and dancing electrons.

Music wants to become a living energy in dead computers and loudspeakers and WAV files, going out with space shuttles and deep space probes, rocking hard to the absurd.



Now my comment posted on my Blogspot blog, in response to Mark's comment published there.

[text deleted by machine]



And finally, Mark's comment, with a link to my original post that started the discussion.


Mark has left a new comment on your post "rough notes for the End of Music":


This may seem like an obscure reference, but this reminds me of an episode of "Salute Your Shorts" (old Nickelodeon show), in which Sponge, the resident nerd, informs his friends that in the future, music will be composed by and listened to by computers. To which his friend replies, "Music that we can't even listen to? That's ridiculous."

I'm not doing the script justice, but it's worth looking up, even if it does seem a bit juvenile.

My question to you would be, isn't it up to musicians to stave off all of this "technology", and create music without the aid of any sort of technological innovation, whether its standard notation, digital mixers, effects pedals, etc?

To resist the temptation of convenience, I think is the true musician's form.

Forgive my having a myspace account. I was young and stupid once.

1 comment:

smack dat said...

hello i was just wondering how do you put pictures on your blog???????????????? i will visit your site later to see if you answered... thank you