Tuesday, November 28, 2006

legit plus unknown links comment spam

Here's an obvious example of dubious/dangerous blog comment spam. It's a real life example of crafty, clever, possibly detrimental, and unprofessional "Legit Plus Unknown Links Comment Spam".

This has a seemingly friendly, techie text, but watch out! The first URL is a well-known web site, but the following four or five are unknown to me. I am not willing to take the risk of clicking on these links. I "Reject" the comment, after copying and pasteing part of it here.

You cannot let comment spam slip into your blog. I'm ruthless: if it's got a link, I consider it spam, even if it's from a trusted friend. Why so extreme? Because even allies can goof up and pass a soiled URL to you, unsuspectingly.

Just give me a company name to Google, and I'll do some pre-navigation research on the search results and then decide if I want to consider visiting the possibly malicious or spyware attaching site. I am not (inordinately) paranoid (nor wimpy), but I am al(so)ways no(t) (a) gullible, vulnerable chump (or namby pampy dolt).

I quote only part of the spam message, which was being held in moderation. Rejected.

[QUOTE--with URLs deleted]

Hello Steve

I am looking for a mindmap or visual map for blog's content.

I have seen contents pages, such as, Search By Label [URLs deleted ... along with the rest of the stupid spam or artificial word of mouth, pseudo-blogobuzz, faux-viral message]

[END QUOTE]


Be defiant. Delete and do not publish any of these suddenly swarming spam promotions, that are attempting to use our blogs as message boards.

2 comments:

David said...

As ever, useful nods from you V. Thanks.

steven edward streight said...

David: you're very welcome.

Thanks for expressing your appreciation.

It's hard to know all the time what to blog about, there are so many issues, opportunities, dangers, and problems out there.