Thursday, October 19, 2006

Intel blog is cooler than yours

Business bloggers, and even more so, non-blogging business leaders: wake up and smell the rosey perfection of an actually correctly done blog:

Intel IT blog

It's candid, crazy, self-loathing, intelligent, creative, interactive, responsive, ... all while serving the cause of Intel. A corporation must enter the blogosphere as a single human voice, or a harmony of differentiated voices, not in goose step with the corporate line, but in subservience to truth, transparency, diversity, democracy, and universal content utopia ideals.

Be yourself, be professional, be beneficial. Seed a conversation. Share your expertise. Help others along. The entire secret to all blogging.

You really can be a technically correct blogger and a business person, stranger things have happened, you know.

And this blog is proof of my whimsical optimism that I secretly reserve for about .01% of the business blogs out there, most of whom are wretched, boring, old fashioned, mono-media mostrosities of plain text narcissistic blather.

I advised Jeff to post video of short messages on this blog. Video is the best way to humanize and personalize a blog. Let your audience both see and hear you, as well as read your text. Be as funny or profound as necessary, and watch what happens to your connections with your blog visitors.

Don't just be ahead of the curve, carve out your own curves.

I quote this entire post because it demonstrate s the right way to blog.

"Read Ye And Be Advised Of The Wisdom Of The Great Intel!"

posted by Jeff Moriarty on October 14, 2006

http://blogs.intel.com/it/2006/
10/read_ye_and_be_advised_of_the.html

[QUOTE]

Writing this blog is not part of my internal duties, I have no official time set aside for this, and I’m in the middle of a gigantic program reset tied to all of the reorganization and “efficiency” efforts going on at Intel. Also, much of my management chain thinks I’m a disrespectful oddball, and I’ve already had several senior Intel folks coach me on my approach. So why am I doing this and drawing more fire? I found a beautiful articulation for my suicidal career behavior in another blog.

Intel is sponsoring a Live Without Borders event in New York City, where a whole section of NyC is being created in Second Life by master builder Versu Richelieu, who is doing it live from a storefront window. I like this idea for a whole host of reasons, but the note that caught my eye was in a comment on Eric Rice’s blog.

“Thanks for playing WITH us, Intel, and not talking AT us”

Intel is truly an amazing company, but we often (usually?) come across as a bunch of egotistical, lecturing, pompous jerks. It’s bizarre trying to reconcile the incredible people I know are inside our walls with the crazy way we appear to the world. We pronounce, not discuss. We lecture, not share. We dictate, not lead.

Our processors, chipsets, technologies, compilers, and the like are all just super spiffy, but they are not Intel’s sole asset. In fact, standing alone, I wonder if they really are our greatest asset. Where we could really add value to people, to IT shops, to companies, and to the world is if we worked more collaboratively and built solutions together. If we lower our guard a bit, and talked WITH people instead of AT them.

I’m not the only person at Intel who feels this way by a long shot. This is also the passion of many Intel employees, and there are some great programs running (like Live Without Boundaries) in this direction. This blog is an opportunity for me to support them, and their direction to make Intel a more valuable partner for everyone who uses our hardware (and maybe even for those who don’t).

I feel strongly enough about Intel and this direction to spend my Saturday morning, sitting on my patio, writing about it. I have no idea if it will make any difference, but I’ll give it my best shot.

[END QUOTE]

No comments: