Saturday, September 09, 2006

interview followup sample package


Today I walked 45 minutes to hand deliver a sample package to the woman who interviewed me on Wednesday. The air was cool, the sun was crisp, and my bundle was a differentiation and promotion machine.

I put together a pile of print-outs: 2 posts at BusinessWeek Blogspotting about me, a few Corporate Blog Revolution posts from my WordPress blog, and a few Vaspers the Grate posts. Posts that present simplified explanations of new communications technology, or clear usability analysis are what I'm dredging up from my archives, along with glowing reports on my activities in posts that were published at other blogs.

I've run into an author's crisis. I don't feel like my blog posts look good as paper print-outs. They seem disconnected. Wordy. Tangential. Overly confidential. Too relaxed and limpid. Floating awkwardly. Severed from the blogosphere and habitual pathings via my blogroll.

This is no diary, it's an event log, a record of what I decided to say about detrimental robots, web usability, or CEO video on any given day. This blog should be cold, creaky, spooky like a haunted house on the edge of the moonlit woods at midnight.

The way I've been speaking to my blog readers has been rather breezey, confidential, and raw. Not as refined as an article for the Harvard Business Review, in other words. I don't like reading any personal feelings or experiences in my blog posts. That private clutter just detracts from the topic I'm discussing, and ties the post to the blog with overly humanized digital sinews.

So now I'm working on a whole new style of blog writing, a manner of posting that translates better to the printed page.

So far, I don't think hardly any of my posts measure up to that standard. I'll continue to be reader-friendly, but more technical, less conversational, less tangential, more focused and brief. auQ CUd =3

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

less human?
good luck.

steven edward streight said...

Yes, less human in the sense of over-riding the conversational mode, and substituting a more machine-like data compiler mode.

A technical or professional book sounds a lot different from a private diary.

carrie said...

fine. whatever. but i like the spam can

steven edward streight said...

I am now in the process of stripping the gummy human emotions from my flesh and replacing them with steel filaments and wire cotton.