Thursday, September 14, 2006

2 books on videoblogging


Videoblogging by Jay Dedman and Joshua Paul (Wiley, Extreme Tech, 2006) $29.99 US

First thing I noticed: no YouTube references. Only two entries under "viral video", and one is that Numa Numa dance video that people emailed all over the place. But I highly recommend the Extreme Tech series from Wiley.

They'll probably come out with a Hacking YouTube book soon. I already own the Extreme Tech books Hacking RSS & Atom and Podcasting, so this is my third in the series.

I just bought this at Barnes & Noble today. I've only glanced at the index and a few pages. I can tell you this: if you're a videoblogger or videocaster, you should go buy Videoblogging. It's a basic introduction to the technology of web video, and contains lots of good advice for all types of vloggers.

I'm anxious to apply the information on screencasting, which is making a video of your own computer operations. I will be downloading CamStudio for Windows, and attempting to produce some CEO Blog Tutorial Videos, in audio video interleave (.avi) format, today.

The new digital generation is creating its own entertainment, rather than passively submitting to Hollywood and the MSM. Video blogging is a large and rapidly growing sector of the Universal Content Utopia and Social Media Revolution in which we are all participating.

Groovy grassroots goodies, and to hell with arrogant, over-valued celebrity schmucks!

End of stardom--rise of everyone.


Pattern Recognition by William Gibson (G.P. Putnam's Sons, 2003) $25.95 US

This is the novel that a guy at BusinessWeek Blogspotting refers to in a comment on the Lonelygirl15 deception. The plot of this book is somewhat similar, or relevant, to the whole controversy of scripted videos pretending to be authentic, and of mysterious producers and agendas.

Inside Flap:

"Cayce Pollard is an expensive, spookily intuitive American design consultant with an international reputation.

In London to evaluate the redesign of a famous corporate logo, she's offered a very different assignment: find the creator of the haunting, enigmatic video clips being uploaded to the internet by a party or parties unknown. Followers of this footage, and Cayce herself is one, are generating massive underground buzz, worldwide--and her new employer values buzz infinitely more than money.

But with her London apartment burgled, her email hacked, and the records of her Manhattan therapist stolen, she begins to suspect that more is a stake here, to someone, than she could ever have imagined."

4 comments:

joshpaul said...

Thanks for the brief review. As for the lack of references to YouTube in the Videoblogging book: (1) Flash isn't aggregator friendly, and (2) they hadn't exploded onto the scene when we were writing it.

I would like to mention my other book, "Digital Video Hacks" by O'Reilly. Considering you've already dove into video, and you're an O'Reilly fan, you may find some "hacks" of interest.

Best of luck.

steven edward streight said...

Josh: I'll be doing a more comprehensive review of your book later, but I love it already.

And I've been wanting to find a few good blogs dealing with video. Now I've been to your blog and to Jay Dedman, and I like them both.

Thanks for the advice on your Digital Video Hacks book. I'll probably go buy that when I finish Videoblogging.

Thanks also for explaining the lack of YouTube info. I figured it was the time lag between finishing the book and distribution. YouTube did explode suddenly.

Keep up the good work. As a technical writer, I know that it's hard to make complex technology clear to the average user.

You are fortunate to be in the Extreme Tech series. Quite a prestigious accomplishment.

Ann Handley said...

Stevie --

Is there a "YouTube for Dummies" out yet?

steven edward streight said...

Ann: are you serious? Sure, any pop tech will have a For Dummies book or Complete Idiots Guide To book eventually.

If you have any questions about YouTube, I can probably answer 8 out of 10 of them. On a good day. After a few cups of Kava.

:^)