Friday, August 18, 2006

new vs. veteran blogger

New bloggers have a lot to learn, no matter what type of blogger they intend to be (CEO, hobbyist, musician, personal-confessional, futurist, marketing consultant, political pundit, etc.).

New bloggers are in for a shock.

The blogosphere can be a hostile, ugly, depraved realm of lunatic abusers and comment spambots. You have pseudo bloggery and malicious deceptive blogs to contend with. You must learn how to evaluate comment intentions, spam remarks, and source credibility. You must deal with flamers, baiters, trollers, and harshers.

You must be aloof from both praise and blame.

Here are some observations on
beginner vs.
long term bloggers
...


(1)

NEW BLOGGER: "I want more comments."

BLOG VETERAN: "I need to post more comments at other blogs."


(2)

NEW BLOGGER: "My blog is ignored and under-appreciated."

BLOG VETERAN: "My posts need to be more relevant, interesting, and accurate, with more substantiating source links."


(3)

NEW BLOGGER: "I want to get invited to blog conferences."

BLOG VETERAN: "I won't waste any more time at self-congratulatory, sub-mediocre blogger jamborees."


(4)

NEW BLOGGER: "I want more traffic to my blog."

BLOG VETERAN: "I'm content to reach the few who understand and need my insights, and may put them into practice."


(5)

NEW BLOGGER: "I'm just a long tail nobody."

BLOG VETERAN: "I'm just another voice rising up in freedom, sincerity, and desire to share information, insights, photos, anecdotes, links, product reviews, business success tips, etc."


(6)

NEW BLOGGER: "I don't polish or revise my posts, I just blurt out anything."

BLOG VETERAN: "It's important to improve my writing skills, to better serve my audience."


(7)

NEW BLOGGER: "Readers will care about the minute details of my life."

BLOG VETERAN: "Personal details and private experiences will be revealed only when relevant to a topic of benefit to my readers, or a problem I seek their advice on, and even then will be briefly stated."


(8)

NEW BLOGGER: "If I build it, they will come."

BLOG VETERAN: "If I keep improving it, I might hang onto a few."


(9)

NEW BLOGGER: "How can I make money with my blog?"

BLOG VETERAN: "How can I make myself look like I'm worth money (worth hiring), with my blog?"


(10)

NEW BLOGGER: "How can I make my readers like me?"

BLOG VETERAN: "How can I get closer to my readers, and learn their needs and interests?"


(11)

NEW BLOGGER: "What if mean people flame me in comments?"

BLOG VETERAN: "Mean comment flamers make me look good, by how I maturely, or cleverly, respond."


(12)

NEW BLOGGER: "I'll blog about anything if you pay me to."

BLOG VETERAN: "I blog about only what I really have used. When I hate or love, it's sincere. My posts are not paid enthusiasm or compensated hostility. I will never commit blogwhoring or artificial word-of-mouth buzz agenting."


(13)

NEW BLOGGER: "What if I fail and everyone mocks my attempt to blog?"

BLOG VETERAN: "What if I fail to experiment with blogging, and my competitors beat me to a blog platform that works? Achieving improved customer and stakeholder perceptions and eventual market dominance?"


(14)

NEW BLOGGER: "Blog content can be plain text, that's enough."

BLOG VETERAN: "My blog should at least attempt to use all relevant, potentially enriching emerging tech: RSS/Atom syndication, VoIP, custom search engines, audio, podcasts, video, chat boxes, tags, photo galleries, sidebar enhancements, blogo-telepresencing."


(15)

NEW BLOGGER: "I don't want to link to other sites, because that will drive my readers away from my blog."

BLOG VETERAN: "Readers are going to leave anyway, at least I can suggest some good destinations for them, thus increasing the relevance and value of my blog as info hub."

7 comments:

CK said...

Thanks for articulating the polarities between newbie and vet--especially like how the focus shifts from a "me" to an "us" mentality.

steven edward streight said...

A blog is an author, a web publishing platform, a focus, a content, and an audience.

A blog is not just a spot where we chronicle our stray thoughts.

Our blog community includes lurkers, comment posters, linkers, and quoters.

Newsandseduction said...

Taking blogging seriously is important. It is redifining the media and the possibilities. Your ideas are futuristic.

steven edward streight said...

Certain aspects of blogging we can take seriously, other aspects are just vanity.

For example, worrying about negative comments, or lack of comments. That's just silly vanity.

Lots of comments does NOT mean you are a good blogger. It does NOT mean you are interesting or meeting needs. It simply means that many people who like to comment are commenting.

I've seen incredibly smart and creative blogs get zero comments post after post after post, while stupid trivial blogs get massive traffic and tons of comments.

Same with music and film. Many times the best sellers and blockbusers are boring, evil, or dumb.

So I take blog writing seriously, but not blog popularity, traffic, links, comments, or praise.

carrie said...

i remember when i used to be afraid to link to blogs that other people would find more interesting than MY blog. i don't feel that way anymore.

Nalts said...

So I've been blogging for about 9 months... and I realize I'm falling right into your definition of "New Blogger." Thanks. Learned more on that post than any other blog I've read on blogging! Even putting a comment because that's what old bloggers do.

Old bloggers don't die. They just post away. (You can use that).

steven edward streight said...

Old bloggers never die, they just haunt the Way Back Machine internet archives.

9 months is not bad. Congratulations. The critical mass is 3-6 months, last I heard.

Most new bloggers give up and abandon their blogs within 3 to 6 months after starting a blog. This debris of orphaned blogs inflates statistics.