Saturday, August 19, 2006

new Blogger beta version is (yawn)


Color me underwhelmed. Blogger, my favorite blog software, has released a new beta version. It's dumbed down for newbies, with childish WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editing controls.

There's no full HTML editor yet (under construction -- coming soon), so I was frustrated. According to Evan Williams and Blogger Buzz, there are supposed to be a lot of new design templates. I didn't see any.

And why is Blogger calling tags "labels"?

The correct way to introduce a new feature is to call it what everybody else calls it, "tags", then use a tool tip note to define them as "labels you can attach to posts, so users can click on them and find related posts on the same topic in your blog." Or similar wording.

If you see a message in your Blogger Dashboard about switching over to the new Blogger beta upgrade version, I advice: DON'T DO IT!

You may experience what's called Migration Problems, errors in moving your blog to the new platform. Jason at Blogger Buzz says those errors have been minimized, but Login problems are occuring, where Blogger blogs are being transfered to the new platform, unknown to the blogger. You see a blank dashboard.

I may change my mind later, but for now, Blogger Beta sucks. I don't want it. I don't want them to switch me over to it. But they probably will anyway.

It sucks really, really bad. What a shame. To my mind, today, it's a Non-Event.

Wouldn't it be ironic if Vaspers the Grate self-deletes due to Blogger, my once time favorite? If this blog vanishes all of a sudden, never to return, visit my WordPress blog -- Corporate Blog Revolution -- for emergency communications.

Please make a note of that URL:

electrica [dot] wordpress [dot] com

Hope it doesn't come to that, but stranger things have happened.

3 comments:

carrie said...

i, too, am underwhelmed and have no intention of utilizing the beta version, yep. i'm too cool for it.

steven edward streight said...

I think that all Blogger blogs will be switched over the new system, like it or not.

Changing colors and fonts will be a lot faster. "Labels", i.e. tags, that link related topics within your own blog, that is nice, very important in fact. A wonderful improvement.

But that's about all that I can see so far that is okay.

Blogger Beta is no revolution, like Evan Williams began with his 1-2-3 Push Button Publishing.

AG said...

I switched and it killed my blog. I kept getting logged out, and even when I was logged in I couldn't comment in friend's blogs that had them set to disallow anon comments. Too many bugs to list, but like you said, blogger will be forcing the move on all. So I fled to LiveJournal.