Wednesday, June 21, 2006

blogging is not easy


Bloggers tend to be introspective. They think deeply about what they're doing, who they are, and what their blog is. At times, the line between self and blog seems to blur. At other times, a person's blog can seem to be a burden, especially if no one posts any comments.


The saddest thing in the world to me is a blog with great, smart, relevant posts...but no comments. Post after post, no comments. When I see a blog like this, I try to post about 3 to 8 comments at various posts.

When I turn off my computer and go to bed, I tend to obsess over:

* posts I should write

* posts I wrote that may be too abrasive

* blogs I need to visit and post comments at

* blogocombat going on that I need to jump into

* blog controversies I want to comment on

* blog techniques I want to share with readers

* improvements I need to make on my blog

* new design template I want to find for my blog

* training I need to conduct on my Swicki custom search engine

* work I need to do at my TechRepublic IT blog

... and a million other bloggery things.

Now, here's a blogger at RossCode who is wrestling with blog problems. We can appreciate his struggles as he transparently reveals them to us in this post, which I quote in its entirety.

"When Blogging Gets in the Way of Blogging"
(06-14-06)

http://www.rosscode.com/blog/index.php?
blog=2&c=1&page=1&more=1&title=
when_blogging_gets_in_the_way_of_bloggin
&tb=1&pb=1&disp=single

{NOTE: No offense meant, but for a coding blog, this post page URL sure is long and complex. This makes it difficult for other bloggers to link to it. I copy and paste the post page URLs in my post, then usually delete the printed URL after I have entered it into the link embed text entry box.}

[QUOTE]

It was about a year ago that I started writing RossCode Weekly. I did it because I felt there was a lot of technology news I saw that was important to get out there.

About six months later, it became a podcast, because it was becoming too much work to write. The posts were approaching 3500 - 4000 words, so instead, I threw together some notes, and started recording it.

Well, after about six months, that too became too much work, and I went back to writing it - but in a shortened form. But since then, I've started to realize a couple of things. Writing RCW has become work. And it's gotten in the way of writing what I want to write.

With a weekly review due, it's like a looming deadline hanging out there, and (as is probably noticable) has resulted in me not writing much else. I have 5 posts in the works that are all at least two weeks old, and there've been countless others that I haven't started because I just don't have the time to do it.

And suddenly, blogging got in the way of blogging.

So I took a look at why I'm not blogging like I used to. I didn't get to 800+ posts by doing one post a week.

Overall, I average about a post a day, but for the past few months, you wouldn't know it. And what it came down to was that I wasn't passionate about what I was blogging about. I still think I see a lot of cool stuff, but putting it all together is just too much.

There's a few things changing for me outside of blogging too, and frankly, I want to get back to real blogging.

So with that, RossCode Weekly is no more. I may still touch on some of the same things I have before, but it'll be based on what I want to talk about - not what I think fits the RCW theme.

To those who follow RCW, I appreciate your support, and I'm sorry to see it go. Maybe some day, I'll figure out a way to completely automate the process, and then it could come back in a different format - but don't look for that too soon.

As for the long-term subscribers, I hope to get back to where I was when I felt the best about what I'm doing here!

[END QUOTE]

Blogging, especially business or technical blogging, can be really hard work. It may be the hardest job you ever had. It may also be the most frustrating and rewarding work you've ever done, too.

You have to spend a lot of time reading other blogs, posting comments at other blogs, emailing other bloggers, thinking about your next post, writing each post, adding photos and art to your posts, improving your blog design, learning some HTML and CSS, understanding RSS/Atom, and adding links and functionalities to your blog.

Corporations continue to fear, misunderstand, or ignore the blogosphere.

You have jumped into the blogosphere head first, when you weren't even sure if you knew how to swim in it without drowning.

So when you blog, you manifest more courage than your average CEO, who is afraid of flames, questions, complaints, suggestions, and controversy. You may struggle with various issues, and even experience despair and a sense of futility at times.

But just remember: you're braver and smarter than a typical CEO, which isn't saying much, but it sounds good, huh?

2 comments:

Humour and last laugh said...

I share the thoughts written here. But quitting blogging is not an alternative. You create in the hope that you will get noticed with luck.

steven edward streight said...

I may be commanded by a doctor to greatly reduce my time on the computer, and others may have broken hearts over no comments....

but, you are right. Quitting is never an option in anything.

Blogging is an accumulative process, you must keep at it, press on, ignore pain and aggravation, be dedicated to improving your blogging skills and writing abilities.

Like any other art form, blogging requires discipline, devotion, and determination.