Thursday, March 30, 2006

The Matrix sucks



Am I the only one who hates the film The Matrix? I don't go to movie theaters, so it was tonight, on TBS television channel, that I first viewed this tiresome film.

My problem with The Matrix is that it is so anti-intellectual, unoriginal, and fundamentally boring.

Why do almost all "futuristic" films feature guns and bullets?

I suspect it has something to do with the fanatical gun maniacs, who want to "collect" assault weapons, like it's some divine right granted by a violent god.

Even worse than all the frivolous, gratuitous guns and bullets in The Matrix, is the flying-through-the-air kung fu. It reminds me of a silly mix of Harry Potter and Rambo, or Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Lethal Weapon.

Formulaic filmmaking is what has driven me out of the movie theaters, never to return. It's an ironclad law in Hellywood: "All action films must contain guns, chase scenes, sex, violence, explosions, and just-in-time miracles."

It's supposed to be 2199, a digital imaginary reality, and you can bend a spoon like charlatan Uri Geller, if you just tell yourself: "there is no spoon".

This is such weak, sloppy, pseudo-mysticism.

I could only watch about half the film. It was just bullets and flying and jumping and electrodes everywhere. Was this based on a cartoon? It certainly seems like a comic book, full of just in time miracles, like Neo grabbing Morpheus as he fell through a (real? unreal? who cares?) shaft between buildings, or whatever.

When dream, imagination, and reality are all jumbled up like this, it gets boring really fast. I can see no underlying philosophy or metaphysics at all, other than typical self-help book advice like "Quit trying to hit me and hit me."

I kept expecting Morpheus or Neo to quote Napoleon Hill or Norman Vincent Peale.

"Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve" and other lies and deceptions based on a flimsy pop occultism that appeals to the childlike craving for super powers.

EDIT UPDATE: There are plenty of schizophrenics who totally believe things, and achieve none of them. And misguided dreamers who fervently believe in things like fairness, justice and the American Dream...and never achieve any of it...because they are all lies.

The "there is no spoon" strategy is totally misinterpreted application of metaphysical immaterialism, or Christian Science foolishness (ala "evil, insanity, suffering do not exist--all is One, all is Mind...etc.").

Buddha said all is illusory, only due to how all is changing and vanishing and being replaced by new items. Not that, since the spoon is "not there", you can mentally bend it.

How silly and childish. Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy are not pleased with invading the make believe realm with such tripe.


I can't recall any film quite as idiotic and empty as The Matrix.

Weren't the guys in the Trench Coat Mafia, those occult killers of Columbine, influenced by The Matrix?

The fact that The Matrix has been a financial success (5th best selling film trio), I attribute to the guns, kung fu, and special effects (and all special effects in contemporary films seem highly unspecial, imitative, unspectacular).

Using "Trinity" and "Zion" to simulate a spiritual aspect, based on Christian revelation, only makes this film seem more tawdry and vulgar, in a myopic, mushy sense.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

once my blog is published, I'll link back to you and my comments so we can continu dialogue/debates.

Are you even getting my email when I post? i know it is not actually in the post, just wondering.

steven edward streight said...

No, Kelly, your email address is not embedded in your name, like a web or blog site is.

You are quite smart to contact me via blog comments.

I have often declared that blog comments are far more effective than emails, when attempting to communicate with a person.

steven edward streight said...

Goodnight Kelly, I must retire to bed now and there are tornadoes flying around here like Matrix bullets.

Paul Woodhouse said...

My sentiments exctly although I must say that I only saw the third of The Matrix films and fell asleep in the cinema.

I was only moderately tempted to take a peek at the other two to see if they were equally as poopy.

steven edward streight said...

I rarely comment on the lousy state of Hellywood movies, but I really hyped this pathetically boring film to my wife.

She fell asleep about 30 minutes into it.

You must understand that my wife is more macho than me when it comes to movies. She likes war movies and gangster films. She actually *likes* Saving Private Ryan and The Patriot. Can you believe that?

I told Andrea that this film had a huge impact on society, advertising, TV commercials, music, film, etc.

Boy, did I feel dumb last night.

carrie said...

i enjoyed The Matrix.
i'm tired of it, now... but i liked it the first few times i saw it.

it is true... it has had a big impact on popular culture.

i always think people are too picky about movies.