Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Create your own custom search engine

I'm testing and experimenting with the community driven customized search engine called Swicki. See my sidebar, right below my profile info. Type in a search term, like Blog Post Writing, and see what results you get.

I pretty much guarantee that my self-created search engine is better than Google for various blog topics.

Why? Because my search engine only crawls the reputable, smart, and safe sites that I entered into its commands. I entered my favorite, most trusted, most interesting sites in the area of blogs, blogology, usability, web credibility, and business blogging.

Swicki also "learns" from your search behavior. This is an advanced search engine that responds to your search acts. It's expert-configured and community driven.

I tried to create a customized search engine with Rollyo, but to no avail. Although I succeeded in creating my own search engine, it only searched Vaspers the Grate blog, and not the 25 URLs I entered into it.

In fact, I found the Rollyo site and functions to be all screwed up. I'm waiting for Rollyo's reply to my two web enabled mail messages.

Go to Swicki and set up your own configured and community driven search engine today.

1 comment:

steven edward streight said...

Steven Streight to Angus

3:40 am (0 minutes ago)



Angus:

thanks for prompt reply.

due to multiple usability errors on Rollyo site, I am now testing Swicki.

I tried clicking on Rollyos by Seth Godin, Steve Rubel, John Battelle, and the links were dead, my browser went nowhere. wtf?

sorry, your site is very difficult to use correctly. but I will return and try again. how are you better than Swicki? why switch back to Rollyo?

you do have a lot of A List bloggers on your team.



steven/vaspers the grate


- Hide quoted text -
On 3/8/06, Angus Durocher

angus[at] generalissimo [dot] com wrote:

Steven,

On the searchbox creation page (http://rollyo.com/searchbox.html , assuming you're logged in, you should be able to add the searchroll(s) you've created
or "added" from the box on the left, marked "Searchrolls:", to the box in the middle, marked "Searchbox Rolls:".

If you add your site search afterward, sometimes it will erase the searchrolls you've added. Just add them back.

I'm sorry for any frustration this has caused you.

It's a bug I'd thought I'd addressed in the past, and will check into it again as soon as I have the chance.

If you're confused about what "add to my Rollyo" means, it adds a searchroll to the pulldown menu that appears on the main page and your search results page next to the box you type your search queries in.

You can also see a list of the searchrolls you've added on your profile page
vaspers rollyo profile

Currently it appears you've added
Steve Rubel's Interactive Marketing roll.

This roll also appears in the "Searchrolls:" box on the Searchbox Creation page.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Angus.

Rollyo Engineering


On 3/8/06 12:28 AM, steven.streight@gmail.com wrote:


I was all ready to do a post on Rollya, to promote you, but your searchroll creator is broken.

All I get in my Rollyo is "Select" and "Vaspers the Grate". "Select" means nothing, and so all I've got is a Rollyo that searches my own blog.

I don't need that, I've got "Search Site" from Blogger.

What happened to the 25 URLs I specified?

Why isn't my Rollyo searching them?

what does "add to my Rollyo" mean? it does NOT add anything to my Rollyo.

this is frustrating and a waste of time.

--
Steven Streight aka Vaspers the Grate