Monday, February 06, 2006

Why you need Word Ver and Comment Mod

You need both Word Verification and Comment Moderation for your blog.

CyberGal recently told me in a blog comment here, that she uses Comment Mod and she has removed all restrictions, all barriers to accessibility.

She got me to wonder: "Why use both? Why not get rid of Word Verification? Why not make it easier for my readers to post a comment? Why not just moderate all comments, rather than impose that annoying character recognition captcha for all comments?"

I'll tell you why.

Because Word Verification blocks the spambots.

I disabled Word Verification at Vaspers the Grate, and immediately got hit with a buttload of botspam. I learned my lesson real fast.

One more tip: go to your Moderate Comments panel in the Blogger dashboard, and don't just respond to comment alerts in your email inbox, like I was doing. Somehow, I missed a lot of comments by Zafu and Disgruntled Car Salesman, I failed to Publish or Reject them, because the email notification had slipped down the list of messages, got buried and forgotten.

[signed] steven edward streight aka vaspers the grate

2 comments:

carrie said...

you may've missed one or two from me, as well. sometimes i don't remember... "didn't i leave a comment on that post?"

i like word verification... because i usually try to make some meaning out of the word... such as "fqxxeu"

steven edward streight said...

What I like about Word Ver is that the spambots are blocked.

I didn't realize how many, how quickly they swarm, but when I disable Word Ver for a few minutes, I saw.

Everytime you block a malbot, you score a defeat for the dark and a victory for the light.