Wednesday, February 08, 2006

fast feed scraping with Awasu

Awasu syndication feed reader has some special features that I will now unveil as a prelim user report.

I was at Esther Dyson site:

http://www.release1-0.com/esther

Like almos tall web surfers and net users, I was hungry, achey, and in A Big Awful Hurry. I wanted to subscribe to the feed for this, because it looked like a web page, and not a frequently updated blog to blogroll. I felt groggy. Bad geek neck. Typical user taxonomy.

I could not find an XML button anywhere, but--and I must repeat...and you must remember, because your readers are often like this, too--hungry was I, and also in a big freaking hurry, as always.

Bit Torrent starts licensing program to keep malware at bay. Google and Dell teaming up to bundle software. Microsoft gaming chief discusses player-driven experience. Gmail gets Google Talk integration. Internet job hunt may have just gotten harder. [ARS TECHNICA]

That's what two browser bubbles, no three now, four, five, alerted me to as I typed this post. Bubble-ups from Awasu. I like it so far. So, as I blog, I also passively monitor updates on web sites I subscribe to, even if they don't have feeds displayed.

Anyway, I tried an experiment, on the fly.

Avant Browser 's built-in RSS reader was unable to find a content syndication feed at Esther Dyson.

But Awasu did.

Way to go Japan!

It either found a feed, or it created on by interpreting various data on the site.

Does Awasu have a module that generates syndication code from CMS files? that can build feeds from HTML documentation extracted from the site?

I'm looking into this question right now, with my trusty....

[Saxophone sound: BlogPulse Top Posts update just came in.]

...Hacking RSS and Atom by Leslie M. Orchard.


So I now will be getting alerts on every new addition, every update, every substantial change that occurs at Esther Dyson site.


I once again recommend my Japanese RSS/Atom feed reader companion: Awasu.


http://www.awasu.com

3 comments:

rodolp s said...

Reading at your blog I just thought that you might be interested this site http://www.stepwebz.com. StepWebZ provides an array of rss tools, content tools and web tools you can use to imrpove your blog content and interactivity. It can also help you syndicate your RSS feed.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words :-)

Awasu can retrieve content from anywhere at all. If the data is XML or available via SOAP, you can use Awasu's feed processing features to generate a feed.

Alternatively, plugins can be used to retrieve information from other data sources.

If you've got any other questions, please feel free to drop by the forums and have a chat there :-)

And BTW, that sound is not a saxophone, it's a shakuhachi :-)

Taka (lead developer)

steven edward streight said...

Taka, Awasu lead dev:

You are so kind to take a moment to visit my blog and post a comment.

I am very impressed with Awasu. It's exciting to watch it scrape a site, it makes you feel powerful and very technically savvy.

I have no complaints so far. Nice UI, too. High usability and speed.

Good work, Taka.