Sunday, January 22, 2006

Tom Morris questions Vaspers Blogosphere 2006

Tom Morris questions
Vaspers Blogosphere 2006



When I visit blogs that link to my blogs, or to specific posts in my blogs, I try to always respond, via a comment on their blog or a post on my blog. I mostly never check on who this person is, I don't Google their name, I don't even look at their About or Profile page.

I simply, deconstructively, respond with text to text. It is text interacting with text.

Tom Morris comments on my position on deluxe convoluted aspects of the consensus laws of blogging, the core principles and axioms I triumphantly assert.

Tom Morris: Sunday, January 22, 2006

http://blogs.opml.org/2006/
01/22#metazen


http://blogs.opml.org/tommorris/
2006/01/22#metazen

When I say "no comments = NOT a blog", I am differentiating "weblog" from "link log" and bulletin board blogs, which I in turn differentiate from arrogant unilateral preaching platforms.

This is my supplemental Vaspersian terminology that allows me to discuss all levels blogological data and deconstructivist inquiry with precision and visionary zeal.

Strategically moving beyond the common, univocal blog concept, we now advance back to the pioneering blog concept of multiphonicity and social media dispersion, multiple voices in dissonance and harmony, mutiny and collaboration.

Blogging, at its best, is a progressive collaborative exploration of truth. Truth about being a mom, a teenager, a business, a shopper, a soldier, a homeless genius, a product, an ideology, a human.

A sidebar, an entire blog, may indeed be minimal, rather than loaded with features, functions, and photos as I generally prefer.

It's nice to see a wide variety of blog formats, templates, styles, and ambitions. It's also good to have some reliable guidance in constructing, maintaining, and promoting a blog.

It's even better to have thoughtful bloggers question your fundamental assumptions and firm conclusions.

Blogs have varying goals, personalities, and audiences, so this is forcing me to start dividing all blogology along the lines of the 5 Blogospherias in One Blogiverse, to differentiate the divergent principles associated with the various strata and behavioral norms of the blogiverse.


[QUOTE]

Meta-Zen

Steven Streight has a post on what the blogosophere should do in 2006. Here's what I don't agree with.

First off, keep your sidebars simple. I know you've got an opinion. That's why you blog. But I don't need to see that much of it on every click.

For a guy who is "a Jakob Nielsen/Jacques Derrida deconstrution-based web usability analyst and blogologist", he doesn't seem to understand that for every thing you put in your sidebar, another computer must load it up when you get linked.

Keep it as simple as possible.

[VASPERS: But what if your audience WANTS you to move away from simple toward complex, and give them links to cool free legal music mp3s, podcasts, and video? Or WANT to participate in blog site polls or computer games?

Then what? You change your theory, that's what, and you provide the benefits your readers want and enjoy and expect. Why should blogging be a static activity, non-evoloving, easy, routine?

God forbid we ever are reduced to Routine Blogging. That violate core value #2: Passion, #6: Creativity, and #5: Individualism.]

Because it if's a choice between linking to a slow blog and a fast blog (on my piffly 56K GPRS connection while on my morning commute), the fast one wins.

Second, comments aren't that great.

I've had comments on my blog for years. What a waste of time. I've had two or three interesting exchanges via comments. But, seriously, if someone has something to say to me, they can drop me an email and get a response as quickly as if they comment. And if they want it to be public, they can blog about it, and it'll magically show up in my Technorati feeds. To really guarantee a response, do both.

"Comments should be enabled, else your blog is NOT a blog". No, it's still a blog, just not a spam-ridden, message board wannabe service.

There's some good advice there, but most important of all is the simplest of advice: Don't break standards. Do it your own way. Don't be evil.


[END QUOTE]



VASPERS Whisper Transmission Code 12:


Thank you, text of Tom, for commenting on my suggestions for Blogosphere 2006.

Comments, BTW, are very "great" for firewalled corporate intranet employee collaboration, Q&A, and internal communication blogs. I wonder how many firewall blogs will eventually exist in business, versus public PR type, corporate/consumer-interaction blogs.


Regarding download speed of a blog loaded with sidebar enhancements, I use Firefox and Insight Cable Broadband, with Symantec firewalls and AV, so most everything is near-instantaneous.

I must not forget that many users do not have this speed advantage.


[signed] steven streight aka vaspers the grate

No comments: