Here's how to save a blog template.
This is also a lesson in writing technical documentation. The biggest mistake in tech doc is forgetting a step, assuming users "already know that" or "will automatically do that". Go from A to Z, not from C to Q.
I use my Blogger blog as an example. Yours may be different in some respects.
Blog Template Saving
(1) Go to Blogger dashboard (blog edit control panel).
(2) Select "Change Settings" for the blog whose template you want to save.
(3) Select "Template" (tab).
(4) Select "Edit Current".
(5) Put cursor on beginning of template code ("DOCTYPE..."), left click once, drag cursor and highlight the whole code.
(6) Go to top browser chrome and select "Edit", then "Copy".
(7) Select "Start" in bottom browser chrome.
(8) Select "WordPad" or "NotePad" or whatever text editor you have.
(9) When new file opens with blank page, select "Paste".
(10) After entire code has been pasted, select "Save".
(11) Type in title for this file ("Vaspers template January 29, 2006"), and save it.
(12) Select "Exit".
Congratulations. Your blog template is saved. Now you don't have to worry.
If you don't do this, I pity you.
[signed] steven edward streight aka vaspers the grate