Friday, January 06, 2006

blogging baby dot com: what is it?



"Blogging Baby dot com: what is it?" I ask to the party-pooped and dismal dregs of the holidays, down to the bitter end.

http://www.bloggingbaby.com

Unfortunately, it's *not* a bunch of babies, who, though they cannot speak, can write blog posts, in baby language. This is what this should be, from the implicit title it would seem to be babies who blog, and are thus: blogbies.

What is this thing?

Have we stumbled upon an effective, successful Mommy Product Recommedation Blog...or a dreaded Blogoid Object?

When Firefox extensions alerted me to a javascript from Weblogsinc., I knew who was behind it, backing it, foregrounding them all, the legendary "blog empire" of Jason C.

(The Firefox security extension forbids all javascript, but lets me modify my permissions, allowing me to temporarily allow Weblogsinc. javascript.)

I quote a post that appeared as a link in my Gmail inbox under "Blog Innovation" Alert, if I remember vividly.


[QUOTE]


Blogging Baby Sleepover: Thursday, December 5

http://www.bloggingbaby.com/2006/01/05/
blogging-baby-sleepover-thursday-december-5/

Posted Jan 5th 2006 9:02PM by Karen Walrond

Filed under: Child Development, Health and Safety, Lifestyle, Media

Oh MY. The children of cyberspace ARE acting up, aren't they? It's true! I mean, as you take a gander around the world wide web this evening, we find Mr. Nice Guy jumping on the bumper sticker bandwagon, and describing his daughter as a "condor-shrieking maniac." And honey, that's the nice part. I say we get her together with tooth-gnashing, claw-catching Polly from Life's Jest Book -- talk about the potential for real entertainment.

In other news, poor Alice from Finslippy is feeling so puny that everything tastes like spackle, and she's moved to profundities like "LUUUUUUUURRRRRRHHH." Although, I suspect that she wouldn't get much sympathy from T.O.Mama of MUBAR, who's busy enjoying chocoate and coffee she shouldn't be having, per her New Year's resolutions.

But hey, it's fair trade chocolate and coffee, so it doesn't count.

[END QUOTE]


Now, I must tell you that many words or phrases are links to other sites, mostly blogs, and a surprising number of Blogspot blogs. I cynically thought all the links would be to Weblogsinc. sites only.

This would be an example of corporate clinking, a very common blog trick, linking only to those in orbit around you, "satellite linking" is another term for it that I coined recently.

Though I very much like Mark Cuban, his Blog Maverick blog, and his business philosophy of altruism and mingling with the crowd, I am disturbed when I encounter a blogroll anywhere that contains only associate sites, only corporate sponsored sites, or only blogs in a web-ring of unintended or focused elitism or hyper-specialization, like only WordPress blogs, or only TypePad blogs, or only Xanga blogs, or only South Korean blogs, or only Republican Conservative blogs, or whatever.

So we have here a post that is written in "insider lingo", a specialized terminology, almost a, dare I say it?, Code Blog. Does its esoteric language appeal instantly to Mommy Bloggers?

Go visit

it (oy)

and look at the way editorial text contains links embedded in mysterious words and phrases.

Does this qualify as a true Code Blog? Link Farm? Pseudo Blog? Commercial Blog?

What's your opinion?

What is "Blogging Baby dot com"?

Can you explain to me what this blogoid object is? I can't understand it.



[signed] Steven Streight aka Vaspers the Grate
:^(

4 comments:

carrie said...

it looks like a parent's magazine-type wiki/blog. articles about or relating to parenting. i think it has too many ads on it, though... making it seem less personal.

zafu said...

It's definitely cryptic, though I imagine Mommies will isntantly get all the nuances of the wiriting.

It also has Google ads after every post. It's obvious where its heart is, anyway.

Zafufilia said...

Yup!

MARYBETH said...

WELL.. IT DOES APPEAR TO HAVE A SMALL BLOG, THAT APPAENTLY RECIEVES LOAD OF COMMENT RESPONSES. I FIND THE LAYOUT ANNOYING. I AGREE WITH CARRIE TOO MANY ADS, DOESNT FLOW, DOESNT MAKE SENSE- KIND OF LIKE GIVING A MAGNA DOODLE TO AN INFANT WITH SOME HAND COORDINATION THEN TAKING THE PATTERN AND USING IT AS YOUR BLOG FORMAT.