Thursday, December 22, 2005

How to fix Tim Berners-Lee's new blog



The new Tim Berners-Lee blog of web inventor, and pioneer of normative web standards and practices, Tim Berners-Lee, has a problem.

His blog is brilliant, but also broken.

[EDIT UPDATE: Actually, this is Tim's second blog, not his first. He is the First Blogger in History, with his "What's New" page, according to Meatball Wiki.]

THE BRILLIANCE:

[QUOTE--by Tim Berners-Lee]

Now in 2005, we have blogs and wikis, and the fact that they are so popular makes me feel I wasn't crazy to think people needed a creative space.


In the mean time, I have had the luxury of having a web site which I have write access, and I've used tools like Amaya and Nvu, which allow direct editing of web pages. With these, I haven't felt the urge to blog with blogging tools. Effectively my blog has been the Design Issues series of technical articles.

That said, it is nice to have a machine to the administrative work of handling the navigation bars and comment buttons and so on, and it is nice to edit in a mode in which you can to limited damage to the site. So I am going to try this blog thing using blog tools. So this is for all the people who have been saying I ought to have a blog.


[END QUOTE]




THE BROKENESS:

Comment overload, most, according to Tim, just saying "Thanks for inventing the worldwide web and for finally joining the blogosphere!"

Thousands of comments like this are not valuable user-generated content. It's not Tim's fault that so many fans wanted to get there name and URL attached to the official Tim Berners-Lee personal blog. This, I believe, is a Net Narcissism Necropathy dementia, against which one must be inoculated.

For selfish and only slightly appreciative reasons, thousands flocked to his blog, bloated the poor thing instantaneously, and now the comment function had to be shut down. Good going, you retarded robots.



I have but one feeble, ridiculous suggestion for possibly fixing this blog, so it can open for reader comments again.

THE FIX: Begin to blog in a murky, cryptic, eccentric, elusive, evocative, allegorical, metaphysical manner. This tactic is designed to ward off the casual glory-seeker and nosey busybody. This will be difficult to converse with, but not preventing conversation itself.

EDIT UPDATE: Tim should also enable both a captcha (word/image verification), though that would violate his accessibility goals I'm sure. Then, in that case, maybe try Comment Moderation, delete the fluff comments, and publish the gems. Like what I might write someday.

Blog in a slyly complex crypto-tech language, tossing around undefined neologisms like flowers on fire.

This is how I reduce my enormous comment overloads from a whopping 14 comments per post (cpp) to a more easily handled 2 or 3.


[signed] Steven Streight aka Vaspers the Grate

:^)

No comments: