Wednesday, July 20, 2005

blog fever cooling?


"When is blog fever going to cool down?", some bloggers wonder.

I don't.

I could care less if blogs are popular, mainstream, or used to their full potential by businesses. Fever pitch or cold as a cucumber, the enthusiasm or chilly attitude of others means little to me.

I like blogs.

They enable me to express insights and techniques to others.

I learn things and am amused by those who post comments in reaction to my posts.

My own writing and thinking skills are improving along the way.




Burned Out Blogger = Prophet of Gloom and Doom



Sometimes bloggers, even good ones, get tired of the whole thing.

They get burned out. Could happen to you. Or to me. Who knows?

When a blogger burns out, or when they just get weary of all the misinformed hype, all the marketing pros yelling about using blogs to make money, they rebel.

One form of jaded counter-hype is to herald the End of the Blog Hysteria.

Here is a blogger who has decided he's had enough of the spin and hoopla, and now he asks...


"When Will Blogging Peak?"

Jeremy Zawodny

July 20, 2005

http://jeremy.zawodny.com/
blog/archives/004940.html



[QUOTE, with Streight Commentary]

While I don't claim to know or predict the future, I do feel like this whole blogging thing is gonna peak sooner or later. After that it may die off or continue along just fine.


[STREIGHT: Er, this is not much of a prediction. The "peak sooner or later" tells me nothing. The "it may die off or continue along just fine" is an empty statement that provides no new information, nor thoughtful insight.]


But either way I suspect blogging as a "hot thing" can only last so long.


[STREIGHT: Ahem. I hate to repeat myself, but: no news here. Nothing stays in the spotlight for long. And the mass media spotlight usually arrives long after all the real innovation and revolution has passed into the humdrum of everyday existence. So what? Everyone knows that already.]


How long? That's the question.

[STREIGHT: Maybe for you that's the question, but not for me. My question is how are blogs evolving, how are they being used to accomplish goals, how are people enjoying the writing, reading, and commenting? I have no interest in how the mainstream reacts or what the media coverage is like. Not relevant to my mission.]

It seems to me that the advertising bits are falling into place, the tools are beginning to mature, the marketplace of platform and service vendors will be consolidating soon, and well... everything seems to be falling into place.

What's still missing?

Blogging now feels like on-line shopping around the year 2000 or 2001.

Most of us no longer think it's a miracle that it [blogging] works, a new thing, scary, difficult, hard to understand, etc.

[STREIGHT: Most of "us". "Us"? Us who? Us bloggers? Us long time bloggers? Perhaps. But many people, even internet users, are still bewildered by blogs.

My theory is: if they'd just start a blog, and start doing the bloggy routines of reading and commenting at other blogs, falling into flame wars, engage in a bit of blogo-combat, be a real blogger, they'd understand quickly what it's all about.

Instead, their eyes glaze over as they ask endlessly, waiting to be spoon fed, "what is a blog?"]


So I'm starting to wonder what the timeline might look like.

Roughly when do you expect blogging to go from being "the new thing" or "the thing that changes/reinvents X" to just another part of daily life for a bunch of people? ...just like on-line shopping.


[STREIGHT: I'm a blogologist, and I don't care. It's like asking a guy in a bar when people will finally get tired of cold beer and air conditioned taverns. Or asking a book lover when books will be phased out. Not even mildly interesting. You either read, write, and comment on blogs, or you don't. Big deal.]


Posted by j zawodn at July 20, 2005 12:10 PM



[END QUOTE]

2 comments:

Paul Woodhouse said...

I've just been to a bookmaker to see if I could place a single bet on some nag winning or losing.

Wasn't really having much of it.

The problem with burnout is that you start blogging badly. You simply don't really care what you throw out, so it's probably best to step away for a while.

But cold turkey is such a bitch.

steven edward streight said...

Blogging is addictive and can be all-consuming, like any other good sport.

Extreme Sport Blogging, which typically involves a healthy dose of blogocombat, requires flexing and strengthening exercises on a near daily basis. The nearer the better.

But one can make many new and distant friends as blogger.

The Readers Digest article is very descriptive of what's really going on.

A whole new lifestyle based on pulling the television, video, audio, music, text, news, entertainment, etc. content that You Want, in defiance of getting what They Want pushed at you.

To burn out on blogging is a normal course of human nature, but can be avoided by a curiosity that can't be quenched.

By continual learning and discovering, with strong desire to share insights with others, you always have plenty to post.