Monday, May 23, 2005

A new Blog Post Titles Experiment to be posted today!


are your post titles well-written? Posted by Hello

One of my most popular and controversial posts was "Business Blog Post Titles Experiment".

Even Doc Searls posted about it and provided a link to it.

What I did was display the last 5 posts of 32 business blogs, and asked which post titles seemed the most compelling.

Well, I've done it again.

This time there will be more than 40 blogs listed, and not restricted to business blogs. Most of the blogs on my blogroll, plus some bizarre or unusual blogs, will be in the "experiment".

I call it an "experiment" because my hypothesis is "meaningful, relevant, interesting post titles cause users to read the posts and return to the blog." This theory is proven or disproven when you click/select a blog based on the post titles you see on my list.

This project is time-consuming, but when finished, it seems almost like a work of art. It is indeed a work of love, as I encourage my beloved fellow bloggers to improve the writing of post titles.

Only a few bloggers consistently write remarkable post titles. Post title writing is a real art. But once you know the techniques, it's not so hard.

I've learned about micro-content writing (short, brief text composition) from such pros as Jakob Nielsen, Cory Doctorow, Debbie Weil, Nick Usborne, Nancy Michaels, and Kaitlin Duck Sherwood.

Look at and ponder the titles of movies, short stories, novels, songs, artwork to get an idea of effective title writing. The title (or name) of anything is vastly important, just ask Laura and Al Ries about it! Even mystics and spiritual traditions, including the Bible, put huge emphasis on names and titles.

Okay.

So, I'm typing as fast as I can to put this post up. I will also email the authors of all the blogs to let them know I'm comparing their blog's post titles to other blogs.

See ya in a little while.


P.S. Er...I'm not sure if the title to THIS post is much good.

What do YOU think?

I think I need to keep improving my own sorry ass!

LOL

:^)



[signed] Steven Streight aka Vaspers the Grate aka Leopold the Told

No comments: